The academic literature on immigrant integration has exploded in Europe and the United States since the 1980s (Martiniello and Rath, 2010, 2012 and 2014). It covered a wide range of issues related to economic, social, political and cultural incorporation of immigrants and their descendants. However, this lavish literature has largely neglected certain objects and questions, for example the relationship between the arts and the incorporation of migrants and their descendants, or the forms of political solidarity that can emerge from intercultural artistic practice.
The main objective of this conference is precisely to start thinking about the cultural and artistic participation of migrants and descendants of migrants in a transatlantic perspective. It wants to focus also on the spaces and the moments when this participation intersects and binds to public forms of intercultural collective engagement, whether artistic, political, or both.
The conference will gather international scholars and researchers working on the following issues:
- The role of culture and the arts in the lives of newcomers and descendants of migrants
- The cultural and artistic practices developed by newcomers and descendants of immigrants, and the forms of cultural participation in which they are involved.
- The way cultural institutions take into account those publics, often considered to be disengaged at the cultural and artistic level.
- The way practices contribute to creating bonds of solidarity between migrants and natives.
- The forms of political representation and collective engagement that cultural practices and productions may inspire.
The conference is not restricted to a specific artistic discipline or to specific communities. This academic conference wants to promote the dialogue among artists, civil society and policy makers.
For more details on lectures and papers, please download the conference full programme in PDF.
More info on the conference venues Salle du Conseil B31 – ULiège and Théâtre de Liège. For more info on travel and accommodation, please download the info document in PDF.