|14/09/22||Class starts on the 21/09||/||/|
|21/09/22||Lesson||Presentation of the class
Overview of markets
|28/09/22||Lesson||From monopolies to markets||Damien Ernst|
|05/10/22||Lesson||Electricity Markets in Practice
|Day-Ahead Market with transmission
Exercises 1 (solutions)
Exercises 2 (solutions)
Exercises & Homework Presentation
|Impact of transmission
Exercises 3 (solutions) & Homework statement
|09/11/22||Homework Q&A||Homework Q&A||TAs|
Exercises 4 (solutions)
|23/11/22||Homework Q&A (starting at 10am)||Homework Q&A||TAs|
|30/11/22||Homework Q&A (starting at 10am)||Homework Q&A||TAs|
|07/12/22||Homework submission||Homework submission (deadline at 23:59)||TAs|
|14/12/22||Homework evaluation||Homework evaluation||TAs|
|21/12/22||Exercises evaluation (more info below)||Exercises evaluation||TAs|
Talks from previous years
- 28/10/2019 – Frédérik Demaret (EDF Luminus): Energy Trading
- 18/11/2019 – Bertrand Cornélusse (ULG): How does the European day-ahead electricity market work?
- 25/11/2019 – Jacques Gheury (CREG): Etude sur les moyens à mettre en œuvre pour faciliter l’accès à la gestion de la demande en Belgique.
Suggested supplementary readings
To further your understanding of the concepts presented in each lesson, a list of suggested articles is provided. Each of those is accompanied by a series of questions to help you identify the most important aspects discussed.
Note: (i) some of the linked material may only be available from within the ULiege network. Connect to ULiege’s VPN for remote access (ii) the research papers need to be studied for the assignment date.
The statement of the assignment is available here. The deadline to submit the assignment is 07/12/22 at 23:59. Check the statement for the submission details.
Part of the mark for the project will come from the evaluation of the report (same for all members of one group), and the rest of the mark will come from an oral discussion with the teaching assistants on 14/12/22 (different for each member). The schedule can be found here. The discussion will be organised in R21/B28 (the usual classroom). Please be present at least 15 minutes before the start of your timeslot.
The exercises evaluation, organised on 21/12/22 at 14:00 (until 16:00) in R21, is mandatory for all HELMO students and will cover the content of exercises sessions 1 (questions 2 to 4) and 2 (questions 1 to 3).
The exam will be organised in sessions. Each session will be around 1h30 long and by groups of 4 to 6 students.
Each session will be organized in the following way.
- One of the assessors – Pr. Damien Ernst or an assistant – will give each student a question to answer.
- The student will then have time to write down an answer to the question on the blackboard.
- Once the student is finished answering or when the assessor considers he/she has had enough time to answer, the student and the assessor will have a discussion over the question and topics related to this question.
- This process will be repeated for one or two more questions.
Questions will cover the theoretical courses and exercises. Questions about the project might be asked (for ULiège and Erasmus students).
The exam schedule is provided here (for ULiège students) and here (for HELMO students). Please be present at least 10 minutes before the start of your session.